Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lazy Baked Spaghetti

Pictured with The Best French Bread


Baking spaghetti just does a little something, adds a certain je ne sais quoi, to the flavor and texture. If you love spaghetti as much as I do, you've GOT to try doing this to yours because it's the easiest most lazy way to kick your dinner up a notch!

 
How lazy is it??
 

My pooch Abby
THIS LAZY!! 

If you have a favorite spaghetti recipe, use it and then go to the "AND NOW" step. 

If not, get together:

     Noodles
   
     Spaghetti Sauce I've tried all kinds and I really like Francesco Rinaldi because it is good 
               on it's own but also very good as a base to build on. I'm still refining a recipe to use from scratch and hope to have a post on that soon. Make sure 
               you have ENOUGH sauce. In baking it, too much is better than not enough.
    
     !!Cheese!! I use about a brick each time. One time I did a half brick of shredded sharp cheddar
              plus a half brick of shredded mozzarella. In the photo I used 2/3 brick of shredded sharp
             cheddar and 5 pieces of packaged pre-sliced Velveeta.

My husband calls this recipe "that stupid crazy cheesy baked spaghetti you make". I've been trying to get him back in the late 80's and early 90's where he belongs but. HE. JUST. WONT. GO.

 because he's
dung dung dung dungalunglung
vanilla ice ice baby

AND NOW, you'll want to cook your noodles the normal length of time you like them cooked. When using a crock, we wouldn't cook them as long as usual but for this recipe you'll just pretty much make spaghetti as you would any other time.

While your noodles are boiling, put your sauce in a pan and warm it up. Add SOME of the cheese to it but leave enough to cover the top of the spaghetti when you put it in a baking dish. I normally add 1/3 of the cheese to my sauce, reserving 2/3 for the top.

Use Crisco to grease your baking dish.

Preheat oven to 350*

Mix sauce and noodles together and pour into the dish. Cover with the remaining 2/3 grated cheese.



Insert toothpicks at regular intervals so that foil will not touch and stick to the cheese.



Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes depending on how deep your dish is.

The cheese should be nice and melted but not burnt or crisp. If you'd like it crisp, uncover it after 25 minutes, turn the heat up to 400* and bake until it's as crisp as you like.




It will take awhile to cool (at least 20 mins) so while it's cooling, it would be a good time to be baking your loaf of The Best French Bread.



And here's a little prezzie for you, my dearly beloved blog reader!



2 comments:

  1. nice! Where is my bread recipe!!!??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which bread recipe would that be? One of the other 3 posts I added today maybe?

    ReplyDelete