Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Picky Potato Soup

I'm a super picky eater!!!! I used to try and hide that fact but now *stretch* I'm feeling the freedom! So I give you my Picky Potato Soup and all of the Options you might enjoy. Know that I make mine without the Options and it is fantastic. So fantastic that even my onion *shudder* loving husband is hooked on it! Potato soup crack GO!!

GROUP 1

     6 lg Potatoes, cut in 1/2" cubes
O  1 lg Onion
     1 qt (32oz) Chicken Broth
     1/4 C Butter
     3/4 tsp Garlic, minced
     2 tsp Salt
     1 tsp Pepper

GROUP 2

     1 C Cream, half & half, or evaporated milk -I chose cream
     1 C Sharp cheddar, shredded

GROUP 3

O  3 tbs Chives, chopped
O  1 C Sour cream
     8 Slices of bacon, friend & crumbled -I took fat off after cooking
O
  enough cheese for sprinkling on top


I soak my potatoes for a bit, or at least rinse them well, to get rid of some extra starch. Grease your crock pot, throw the GROUP 1 ingredients in. At this point I usually put it in the fridge so that its ready for me to start cooking the next day.

When you are ready, cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4. Any time I have this option I choose the longer, slower choice because it increases the flavor and also tenderness of any meats used. Like me, if your CP doesn't come with a timer, go buy an appliance timer and use it. I bought a Brinks Digital Appliance Timer at a well-known large chain store that rhymes with Bal-Mart for less than $10. I chose digital because it is easier and I'm all about the easy!

After 8 hours (please, don't even use the shorter, higher temp option) very gently rub/mix/mash until the potatoes have broken apart a bit. Now add the GROUP 2 of ingredients!

Just before you serve, garnish with your GROUP 3 ingredients.

Any way you make this, don't expect it to last long at all. I made a HUUGE batch that didn't last 24 hours :)

**recommend serving with garlic bread using my garlic bread dough recipe and then directions for my french bread or some other crusty bread**



DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ADD YOUR CHOSEN DAIRY PRODUCT TO THE BATCH AT THE BEGINNING!! It will spoil and smell nasty and have to be thrown out. I was in a hurry the other day and COMPLETELY SPACED and added it in the morning. I came home to a spoiled potato soup :(




2 comments:

  1. trying your soup tonight I'll let you know what the family thinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Very excited to hear what ya'll think!

    ReplyDelete