Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bread in a Crock Pot. Seriously!





White Bread

I know, I know... it's not the best picture ever but it was scared to leave the house for a photo shoot. I snuck up on it and took this photo before I had the blog going. Next time I promise I'll hire some hunky model to hold it and I'll drape him in nothing but an apron. You want blonde or brunette? -You're welcome-

Before we get to the recipe (I'm going to make you wait for it. You have to read this boring part first. Yes, I'm aware that you can just scroll down but I'm counting on your kind nature and willpower to refrain.) I'm going to make sure you understand a few things first. Maybe you have no one to give you tips but me (I'm honored) or maybe you're a pro, but I'm going to share the little bit I learned thus far (it's not much but it's all I have and yes, I talk like this in real life. With parenthesis and everything. You should see my "air quote", it's quite something.) and I'm going to share it in a very slow, easy to understand manner. Some of you may be new crockers :)

Always grease your crock. CROCK, you dirty minded little bugger! I use unflavored Crisco and I buy the sticks in bulk. Grab a paper towel, wrap it around a few of your fingers, swipe it through the end of the Crisco bar until you have a nice chunk on there and swab the inside of your crock with it. Don't forget to go up around the top too and make sure you've got the L of the bottom meeting the sidewall very well. Using a paper towel will keep most of the grease off of your hand and what soaks through is a great hand moisturizer! Win-win!

The bowl you use to place the yeast in when you're activating it... make it a glass or ceramic one and microwave it for about 10 seconds before you put anything in it. Warmth is your friend when it comes to yeast!

I'm not sure if I have to say this or not, so I will. Never have the warmer ON before you have a crock full of stuff in it! There is never a need to pre-warm the warmer or pre-warm an empty crock. Crocks work best when 3/4 full anyway.

Still here? Wow, you made it pretty far! To the recipemobile!!

  White Bread

      .25oz(packet) or 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
      1 tsp sugar
      1/4 C warm water

      Combine those in a bowl. Allow yeast to foam, about 5 minutes (this is when I usually grease the crock). 


  Add:

      1 egg
      1/4 C vegetable oil
      1 C lukewarm water
      1 tsp salt
      1/4 C sugar
      2 C flour

   Beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir in:

      1 1/2 to 2 C flour

Place dough in greased 4 to 5 quart crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours. Remove stoneware from cooker & let stand 5 minutes before slicing. 



I really enjoyed this recipe. As it is, it created a wonderful bread great for buttering to accompany your dinner or toasted and spread with my homemade raspberry jam (made with raspberries from my very own garden. I will share that recipe next year when my raspberry bushes ripen again!) but since I can't give you MY jam, it will probably taste almost as good with yours!

Please make sure to post feedback, questions, or ideas of your own!

     






4 comments:

  1. LMAO!! Recipemobile?
    I haven't been brave enough to make bread in the crock pot yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!

    You should try it! Just follow the tips and it'll turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just put this in the crock and have the picky potato soup in my other one mmmm my house smells so good :) thank you for all your hard work posting all these yummy recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw shucks, Karalee! T'werent nuthin....

    Thank you for reading and appreciating them! Waiting for you to tell me what you think is like waiting for someone to open a present I got them. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete