Monday, April 8, 2013

Skinny Ms. Down Home Chicken With A Twist

A friend gave me the Skinny Ms. Slow Cooker recipe book this last Christmas. A few days ago (this is April) I finally remembered that I had it! I absolutely love it because there is not 1 complicated or time-consuming recipe in the entire book. Every single one is simple and most of the ingredients are either those I keep on hand or are very easily accessible.

I could not find a photo of the recipe results and as I'm crocking this meal right now, I don't have a photo to show you. I should probably wait but the simple fact is that I don't have time. I've got to go pick up my daughter from school, run to town and wait in line for my 120lbs of chicken I ordered (only 40 is for me), run home to scarf up some food & give my husband a kiss and a quick pat on the butt, then run my darling daughter to our local grange so that my best friend and her husband can teach Hunter's Education to this year's crop of new recruits. That'll last until...

Hey, you're not allowed to fall asleep!!

Anyway, I'm busy. No photo. I'm sure you'll forgive me.

Now, I have to tell you my little twist before we get started. The recipe calls for raw chicken breasts but I don't have any yet. What I've got is a large amount of canned chicken in quart jars because I spent an entire week last fall canning my little fingers to the bone from dawn until dusk after our 32cuft upright freezer decided to retire.

Interesting note, it has now been laid on it's back and turned into a feed bin for my pig feed. Yay repurposing!!

I am going to use 1qt of chicken instead of the 4 chicken breasts. I am going to add it about an hour before I shut off the crock. If you do not have canned chicken, just follow the recipe as it is below. I also don't have fresh carrots or potatoes so I'll be adding a can of carrots and a can of baby potatoes an hour before shutoff as well. No, canned is not as good but it's what I have. I also used water + bouillon and omitted the celery because I don't have any. It's all about using what you've got!

The Recipe

     1 tsp ground black pepper
     1/2 tsp sea salt
     1 tsp garlic powder
     2 bay leaves
     4 carrots, 1/2" slices
     2 large potatoes, 1" cubes
     1 tsp onion powder
     2 celery ribs, diced
     2 C chicken broth (or 2 C water + 2 tsp chicken bouillon)
     2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
     4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir, adding the chicken last. Crock on LOW for 6-8 hours until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

Do you have a favorite chicken in the crock recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment