Friday, December 23, 2011

A Quick Catchup

Hola! I've been so busy with Christmas to-do's that I haven't really cooked anything this last week! I've been refurbishing? upcycling? a dresser that I found at my local Goodwill. I lucked out and was able to purchase and pick it up just days after they marked it down to the bargain basement price of $19.99!

I'm not going to say more on that just yet because I'm intending on creating a post specifically of my work on the dresser *SQUEAL* wait until you seeeeeee!

My major project (other than the dresser but inspired by it) was to completely makeover my daughter's room. In buying our beautiful hunk of land I call The Farm (currently rabbits, chickens, horses, cats & dogs), along with 10 acres (we lease an additional 80 acres) we are proud owners of a barn, a shop (with a kitchen, canning room & freezer room!!!) and a singlewide 1980something trailer... so household space is tight and will be for another 4-5 years when we get our 2 story farmhouse (I swoon at the thought) built.

The Point: everything HAS to be functional and space-saving! Luckily, mama here played a lot of Tetris in her day and also worked for UPS (until I got hurt. I loved that job *tear*) so I KNOW how to stack me some stuff, m'kay?? I know how to fit almost anything anywhere.

The Problem: I am sentimental. I am soft-hearted when it comes to Things and Things My Daughter Wants To Keep. I didn't have much growing up and I know that's the reason. Now, I am not a hoarder by any stretch of the imagination, so don't get that idea! Its just tough to let go. HAVING to let go makes it easier.

Little house = not really a choice.

So I decided when I saw the dresser that I would makeover Aly's room, not in some googly pretty fantastical showpiece way though. More like a "hey, this is really functional compared to what was here and its also sort of cute" kind of way. I've been working on it every day.

I have learned 2 things:

     1. My daughter is more creative than she lets on.

     2. Taffy DOES rot.

I will get that posting up of the dresser soon but for now I'm going to see if I can make biscuit bowls using bisquick and a cupcake pan! Will it be possible?! In the immortal and breathless words of Lea Thompson in Back to the Future, "I don't know... but I'm going to find out!"

*NOTE* I made a ham and bean soup with the leftover ham with my last posting from a recipe I found online. I chose the recipe because I had all of the ingredients on hand... yeaaaah... I should know better than to choose a recipe based on that. It called for 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning WHICH MADE IT STINK AND TASTE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING so don't ever do a recipe for ham & bean soup that calls for Italian Seasoning! I am a fan of Italian Seasoning but combined with the ham & beans it was more like Italian Armpit Hair Especial. *shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment