Thursday, December 1, 2011

Honey Wheat Bread


Next we have an excellent Honey Wheat Bread. I will keep this short and sweet, only telling you that I totally ruined my own because SOMEHOW the temp knob got turned to warm and it ended up almost burnt on the outside, too gooey in the middle, and perfect in between. I used a 100% organic fine-milled whole wheat flour that was grown, milled, and packaged by a farm in Montana. It sounds exotic that way. I'm really trying to distract you from asking the name because I CANNOT REMEMBER IT and I want to tell you the name of the brand because I like it very much. The flavor and texture of the "done right" part of the bread was extremely good and I do intend to make it again... right, this time!

     

  Honey Wheat Bread
     
     2/3 C powdered milk
     2 C warm water

  Dissolve the milk in the warm water, then add:

     1/4 C honey
    .25oz (packet) or 2 1/4  tsp active dry yeast

  Grease your crock! Now add:
   
     3/4 tsp salt
     2tbs vegetable oil
     1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
     1/2 C flour

  Mix on LOW for 2 minutes then add:

     1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
     1/2 C flour

At this point it was really getting thick, bogging down my hand mixer so I figured, "Hey, let's kick this speed up a notch!" Wrong choice. SO wrong. I now have dough all up in my mixer's grill and I can't get it out. On the positive side, it's a great excuse to buy a new mixer!! It will have to be another hand mixer because I can't quite afford a KitchenAid mixer. Someday we will be together, KitchenAid Mixer. On this day, I vow that I will wait for you!

*ahem*

Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours. Do not do what I did. Make sure you have it on HIGH and that it does not get bumped. Maybe make a little fortress around it using coffee cups and forks? Please post pictures of your attempts at fort making and as always, please post any comments, feedback, questions and ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. A question was asked about greasing & mixing in the pot and I wanted to share my answer with everyone:

    QUESTION: Do you mix everything in the crock pot or mix, grease then put it all in?


    ANSWER: I ALWAYS grease the crock and it just depends on what I'm doing as to WHEN I grease it. If I'm using yeast, I start the yeast activating and then grease the crock so I'm not just standing there twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to foam. I don't like idle time :(

    So, I do grease the crock before ANYTHING touches it. If I'm putting dough in there, I do not mix it together IN the crock. If it's anything with a large amount of liquids, I just mix it together in the crock. Mix is such a nice word.. "dump & stir" is more like it!

    ReplyDelete