Thursday, December 8, 2011

Incredibly Edible Elk Roast... Caffeinated!


Let me start off by saying that I have never liked roast. I've eaten it because that was what we had for dinner and "if you don't eat it you're not getting anything else!" It was always dry no matter who made it and I can recall even now the chewing and chewing, working a piece like it was cud... working a piece until I could hang my NKOTB poster on the wall with small wads of it *shudder*

Not anymore, my friends!

My husband and I both got our elk this year (means LOTS of burger) so I had him make roasts. I went in search of roast recipes and found a couple I liked, making this particular one out of ideas from those.
I made it with the expectation that it would be a little dry. To me, roast = dry. Its just a given. Oh my jeebers, I bet the look on my face was priceless when I had my first bite!

I felt like Indiana Jones when he found the lost treasure.



I felt like a school kid waking up to snow and no school!



I felt COMPLETELY REBORN!!!



I'm kidding.. but it IS spectacular and I love that I have a way to make it that I will enjoy eating.


My first elk. Got it on our honeymoon Nov. 2011


Incredibly Edible Elk Roast
     1 Elk Roast (or beef) -ours were about 4lbs
     1 can Beefy Mushroom soup
     26-32oz Beef Broth
     1 freshly brewed cup of coffee (or 2, I like 2 cups)



Elk has MUCH less fat than beef. Less additives too ;}
 
Now grease your crock!

    Sear the meat on all sides, don't forget the ends. A pair of tongs is great for this because it won't pierce the meat. Try not to pierce any meat you cook because this will allow the juices to escape.

    Super Tip: if you must pierce the meat (taking temp, etc), before you pierce it, have a pinch of flour in one hand. Pierce the meat & when you're done, fill the hole with the pinch of flour as soon as possible so that it seals back up. Trust me.

    Place the meat in the greased crock, try to keep the meat away from the sides so that it doesn't burn.


    Pour the can of beefy mushroom soup over the roast.
    Pour the beef broth over the roast.
    Pour the coffee over the roast.



   Your roast may or may not be completely covered at this point. If it is not, we will make an exception to the "Never Take The Lid Off While You're Cooking In The Crock" rule and halfway the through the cooking time (or whenever you get back home) you can take the lid off, flip the roast over and put the lid back on. Make sure no one is looking while you violate The Laws of the Crock.

    Once you've got the roast and liquids in, you've got two choices. You can marinate it overnight, or set it to cook. I like things like this that can sit overnight because I prefer to make things later at night rather than in the morning. Either way, this will be delicious!

    Cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours  - if it's 3-4" thick, 7 hours on the dot!

  *note: when done, remove liquids and add cornstarch to them for a nice deep, dark flavored gravy.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds sooo good!! Elk! My husband is a hunter, but didn't go out this year. Wish we had an elk! Thanks for sharing. So glad you enjoyed the gluten free recipe that I shared on The Small Things Blog! Your friend is lucky to have someone who tries to cook stuff that she can eat! (Don't forget that soy is in the legume family.) So sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Lisa--can I borrow an Elk roast? Hee hee jkjk! This sounds SO delicious! I will try this with a beef. (They are easier for me to catch.) And I was cracking up as I was reading this! Down with dry roast! :) Love it

    ReplyDelete