Thursday, December 1, 2011

Non-Crock Pot Meatloaf!

*GASP*!
I know what you're thinking, "whatwhatWHAAAAT?! Meatloaf NOT in a crock pot?! Blasphemy! You are not a true potter of the crock!"
Yes, I know.. I know... I KNOW how it looks but just hang in there with me. Stay with me, for I will take you on a journey of AMAZINGLY easy and tasty culinary delights! I will do a crock pot meatloaf soon and then you will have this to compare it to! The bright side is always beautiful, isn't it? Allow me to provide you a double rainbow in the form of my Non-Crock Pot Meatloaf RECIPE..PE..PE..!! Holy cats, what an echo!
Wait, before I give you the recipe (ha ha made you wait) let me first clear the air (Darnit, Brenda! Lay off the legumes!) and tell you how I feel regarding using some pre-mixed ingredients. I'm fine with it. While some people may feel it is "cheating" (isn't the result the same??) or not true cooking (really?) I put my crock pot in one plug in at a time just like them. In my life, super ultra mega busy as it is, I need easy and quick. Packaged pre-mixed ingredients allow me to spend more time with my family, animals and job without shirking anything at the expense of trying to make a nice meal. Also, they are more affordable short-term. If I'm wanting to try a new recipe but maybe don't have enough cash to get all of the individual ingredients (or maybe don't want to spend the time deciphering them), spending $1 on a packet is clearly the better choice in my view *hurrumph*!
So don't you be ashamed if you throw taco seasoning in your chili or a gravy packet on your roast! Packet away and know that you've got extra time to play charades or, "What's That Clickin' Noise?" and play with PRIDE!
I should also make clear that we grow and raise and hunt as much of our own food as possible. I do not have to eat organic but if I have the option I will take it. The meat we have is always our own and always packaged in white freezer paper. This will be reflected in the types and portions of ingredients as you will see so I will give you conversions:
     Elk = Chemically Enhanced Beef
     Deer = Hormone-Ridden Beef
     Bear = Beef With Unnatural Chemical Additives
     Buffalo = Beef That May Have Been Raised/Slaughtered Cruelly
     Package = 1 lb
I'm kidding (no I'm not). I will eat hotdogs and that is nothing BUT chemically enhanced and hormone filled mysterious meat product and I enjoy it. I, however, do not choose to eat it regularly and avoid anything that strictly says "Beef". Except hotdogs. I know they're lying. I will eat beef hotdogs.
Onward to the recipe!
   Non-Crock Pot Meatloaf
     Heat oven to 375
     Grease or use non-stick spray on your loaf pan
     Add the following to a bowl:
     1 pkg Pork Sausage
     1 pkg Elk or Deer or Buffalo burger
     1 slightly rounded tbsp (or 1/3 of) McCormick Meatloaf Seasoning packet
     2 eggs, lightly mix them with a fork    
     1/2 C milk
     8 crackers, crumble them well as you put them in



   Mix it together with your hand(s). This is the absolute best way to make sure that not only are the crackers crumbled enough but that the sausage and burger are well blended also. Roll up the remaining packet of McCormick's for the next meatloaf.

   Plop the mixture into your greased loaf pan and pat it around evenly with your hand



   Placed uncovered in middle rack of oven and bake for 1 hour.
Sometimes I run out of pork sausage and I will substitute it for the venison sausage we make ourselves. When that happens I use a full packet of McCormick's because the venison sausage is much, much milder than the pork sausage.
When the loaf is done, let it rest on the counter for 10 minutes before slicing. This little trick is something you will want to do with ANY meat you're baking. BUT if there are any juices, immediately pour them into a small sauce pot and THEN let the meat rest. I like to take a slice of the loaf and crumble it as tiny as possible into the juices in the pot and make a gravy, adding water and cornstarch (flour dulls the flavor and you will need to add spices if you use it instead of cornstarch) as necessary to create as much gravy as you need with the thickness you prefer. I usually pour it over my homemade organically homegrown mashed potatoes (we grow a ton of Yellow Finn's in our garden). MMmMmmmmmMMM!
Due to a PTO (Parent Teacher Organization at the local school, of which I am the Vice President) meeting after work today, I did not have time to make mashed potatoes. Instead, thinking of the intensely flavored loaf, I am choosing to have sides thusly:
    
     Knorr Pasta Sides "Alfredo". A nice mild backdrop to the SuperFlavor of the meatloaf.... and it only takes 10 minutes in the microwave. Also some green beans with butter seasoned with California Blend Garlic Salt.
Hey! Microwaving IS cooking and I'll tell you a little something, its much more energy efficient! I guess you could just say I really love the environment *sniff*.
Please leave comments, questions, jokes....
**I will post photos tomorrow**

No comments:

Post a Comment