Tuesday, December 6, 2011

By Crockies, Egg Nog Cake!

I'm sure you're reading this because you love egg nog as much as I do (maybe more) but just in case you're a nog hater reading this who is completely unable to look away due to some sort of instant and freaky temporary paralysis, dear god, YELL for someone to click the mouse because you will not want to stay tuned for all of the noggity egg noggy horror about to befall a hapless vanilla cake mix.

Or, stare -->HERE<-- until your screen saver kicks in.

I adore egg nog but can only handle a small glass or two a night because it is just SO rich. If I could have the flavor, though..

Another fellow crocker and friend of mine suggested I find a recipe including egg nog for crock pottery (I'm still trying not to use the word CP) and I found this simple one. I think anyone (of any age or skill level) with a crock and none of the ingredients could buy & build this in 10 minutes for less than $10. I think I'm going to let Aly make it tomorrow!

  Egg Nog Crock Cake

   Grease your crock and flour it! No one wants to see a naked crock.

    Although it would save the washing of another bowl, I would suggest NOT mixing this in the greased crock, it will scrape grease off of the crock in some much needed areas.

    Mix together :

     1 Package Vanilla Cake Mix
     1 C Egg Nog
**1 t Rum Flavoring
     1/4 tsp Nutmeg

    Pour into crock, cook on LOW 4hrs

**Everywhere I looked, this just said "t". Not "teaspoon", "tsp", "tablespoon", or "tbs". I have interpreted this as follows:

    If you are sad, this is one Tablespoon of Rum.
    If you are happy, this is one Tablespoon of Rum.
    If you are reading this, it is one Tablespoon of Rum.
    Unless you will feed it to your children, then its 4 Tablespoons of Rum, they'll go to sleep early, you can eat the rest and partaaayyy!

    Holy cats, I'm kidding! Don't waste your good Rum on the kids, use 1 teaspoon of Rum flavoring instead!

**UPDATE** 12/07/11 8:54pm : The "cake" has been in the crock on low for 4 hours. It looks like my crock had digestive issues. It's texture is between that of a custard and a sponge. The flavor is wonderful but I'm not quite sure what to do with the stuff. Maybe put it over ice cream? Blend it with some whipped cream and put a dollop into my coffee or hot chocolate? I made it in Hamilton, thinking i'd like more surface area on top rather than side. I might just get another cake mix tomorrow and try it in Hamilton, Jr.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DID WITH YOURS AND HOW IT TURNED OUT  

3 comments:

  1. OMG, Lisa, This sounds freaking amazing!!! As I do the pork chops on Thursday, I am also going to do this for dessert!!! You may end up making me a "crockoree" ( An employee of the "c" word) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If either of you make it before me, make sure to post feedback! I'm very excited to try it myself.

    @Tara -and so my evil plan is working! You are going to want to kiss my feet or give me money, but none is necessary. Just eat and enjoy the incredible chops! I add only cornstarch the liquids to the gravy (about 2 tbs if you add the amount of ingredients originally listed) and its an orgasm for your mouth so make some potatoes to pour it over. Not kidding.

    Seriously, crocking is a great way to make dinner or dessert when YOU have time, not when its dinnertime! If it weren't for my beloved Hamilton & Hamilton Jr. I would not be able to get half the stuff done that I have been, and certainly not with dinners as great as they've been!

    ReplyDelete