Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Stock Your Kitchen - Foods & Spices

It hasn't been a year yet (barely 6 months) since I've truly started cooking (true cooking involves a recipe, a plan and actually caring about the food you're making) and I've noticed that there are quite a few recipes that use the same ingredients. There are also at least 3 meals I can think of this second that I can make in an emergency because the ingredients are those that won't perish quickly and so I always make sure to have them on hand.

Also, when I got my first apartment I really could have used a guide when I went shopping to stock the cupboards. Had I been able to find one, I probably wouldn't be so late in starting my culinary fixation.

C'est la vie!

However I got here, here I am, giving you a guide that I could use myself. Please remember that this is great for my family and the foods we regularly eat (and recipes I am attracted to making) so feel complete freedom to add your own ingredients or spices if I have left your favorites out.

*I wish I were a pro and had everything organized by location in the grocery store, but instead I'm listing them as I find them in my own kitchen. Welcome to the layout of my pantry & spice rack!*

     Green Beans
     Peas
     Mixed Vegetables (great for emergency meals & pot pies)
     Sliced Carrots (great snack kids love, emergency meals, filler)
     Olives
     Pineapple
     Pinto Beans
     White Beans (use in place of Great Northern)
     Tomato Sauce (not to be confused with spaghetti sauce)
     Tomato Paste
     Diced Tomatoes (with AND without italian spices)
     Canned Mushrooms (sliced or whole in jar)
     Chicken Broth
     Beef Broth
     Cream of Mushroom Soup
     Cream of Chicken Soup
     Cream of Celery Soup
     Beefy Mushroom Soup
     Cheese Soup (or Nacho Cheese Soup)
     Spaghetti Sauce
     Spaghetti Noodles
     Elbow Noodles
     Egg Noodles
     Instant White Rice
          Secondary less used rices would be converted white & wild
     Saltine Crackers
     Barley (buy it once and it will last a long time)
  **Brown Sugar
     White Sugar
     All Purpose Flour (the bit healthier unbleached if possible)
          Secondary less used flours would be wheat & bread
     Baking Soda
     Baking Powder
     Iodized Salt
     Ground Pepper (I use only in recipes calling for measured amounts of pepper)
     Peppercorns (use in place of ground at each opportunity)
     Pure Vanilla Extract (splurge, you'll notice the difference)
     Cornstarch (!!!!! Makes anything thicker & does not dilute flavor)
     Parsley
     Basil
     Whole Bay Leaves (always use 1 in place of bits, just pluck out before serving)
     Oregano
     Thyme
     Paprika
     Cinnamon
     Ground White Pepper (cannot see it in food & is MUCH stronger)
     Onion Powder (I use in place of onions *shudder*)
     Chicken Bouillon (adds flavor or broth in an instant)
     Beef Bouillon
     Italian Seasoning
     California Seasoning Garlic Salt (my fav spice bar none)
     Garlic Salt (the kind with Parsely is our go-to spice)
     Garlic Powder
     Minced Garlic
     Dried Onion Soup Mix
     Packaged Spices I Can't Live Without:
          Meatloaf Seasoning
          Country Gravy Mix
          Mild Chili
          Taco Seasoning
     Lemon Juice
     Honey
     16oz Brick Cheddar Cheese
     Butter Sticks
     Worcestershire Sauce
     Soy Sauce
     Ketchup (I prefer Heinz. This is a base for a lot of great sauces)
     Pickles
     Applesauce
     Tuna
Buy in bulk & vacuum seal:
     Burger of some sort
     Ground Sausage
     Chicken Breasts

The majority of the list are things that you should pounce on during store sales! I'm that crazy lady you see with 25 cans of Pinto Beans in my shopping cart. When they're on sale for a dollar apiece, I don't mind the weird looks I'm given! Pinto beans are good for almost anything... soups, tacos, burritos, chili, dip....    

With this list you can easily make a last minute wonderful dinner or a gourmet slow cooked delight.


**not recommended to innocently holler "where's my brown sugar at?!" When frustrated in the middle of a newly renovated Target filled with black people.

No comments:

Post a Comment